Saturday, August 15, 2009

fatherhood

sometimes, i think of the little things you do that get me angry. frustrated. manic.

i think to myself, why would you do this? it winds up hurting you, and i have to watch. i watch because you don't listen, and you get hurt. and i have to watch, and that's what makes me angry.

i want to watch you avoid the pain. i want to see you succeed. i want to be at your wedding. i want to watch you find happiness.

sometimes, i think of how mad i get at you. it's at these times that i feel like a parent. like a father. and as crazy as you make me sometimes, i couldn't have asked for a better child.

4 comments:

  1. I like this, because just as a father watches over his child and wants his child to avoid any pain, I think reversely, a child, with his child-like instincts, watches over his father and wishes he could spare his father the pain that the father may feel after the father makes poor decisions. Sometimes it's the parents that become the children and the children that become the parents.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i think it's human to want to prevent another from experiencing pain, if one has already experienced it innocently. it's more specific for me though, because i can speak from past experience. all in all, i'm glad you like it :D

    ReplyDelete